I should have titled this post as My First Anniversary at work and the First Anniversary of My Facebook Photography Page. Then thought of keeping it light and personal.
My daughter, who is the first fan of my photography convinced me to create my Photography Page on Facebook. She wanted me to share my passion for this art and craft with the world. At first I was hesitant and after being in this art and craft of Photography for about a decade, I finally created @yashmahadikphotography page linked to my Facebook account.
Today I posted the attached special image and message on my page for the circa 50K followers and fans of the page and thanked them.
Sharing my photographs with the world and getting their feedback and encouragement has indeed advanced my skill and craft for the art of photography. Also this is my first blog after a hiatus of about a year.
I changed my job last September, when I moved from Philips to SunPharma. I moved countries too, came back to India leaving the beautiful Amsterdam. Coming back home and this role with SunPharma were the biggest driver for changing jobs. It been a year and what a year it has been. On the professional front, its been very productive, hectic and busy. I was finding my feet in this big highly successful global organisation. I travelled like nobodies business and got to almost all places where our company operates. It was such a pleasure meeting highly talented and capable people of SunPharma and they taught me so much. In year one, I focused on the following five things:
- Getting to know the company, its business models, practices, people, culture, and processes. It was so much fun and learning and identifying opportunities for improvement.
- Understanding and re-evaluating the strategy, structure and operating model of my HR function and team. Then followed the redesign and restructuring of the same for delivering superior results and creating more value for the business. I am almost done with this, I would say 90% there.
- Re-designing and revamping the HR Technology architecture, platform and applications for a superior and best-in-class talent (employees) and candidate (talent) experience. We are now busy executing the same.
- Completing the massive integration process at the organisational, people, policies and practices level between SunPharma and Ranbaxy (the company that SunPharma had acquired). Its done and dusted and now we are embarking on a major culture building program. Phew it was one helluva program and task to complete. Full credit to the team for doing such a wonderful job.
- Initiating a proper and business aligned HR Transformation program to move the needle and take the company and its business to greater heights.
It’s all going very well, there were some tough decision to be made and we had to move ahead with rigour and speed. The highlight of the first year has been – the fantastic HR team that I am being able to build in our company. Was able to recognise and promote some of the existing team members and enrich their jobs and also attracted some top-notch HR leadership talent from outside. Its all coming together very nicely now. I am over-joyed to work in this value based and super organisation which is full of committed and excellent people. I count my blessings everyday.
Throughout this hectic, busy, exciting and sometimes stressful period (of the last one year) my family and photography (which is my hobby and passion) kept me sane, on track and relaxed. Despite my high pressure and exciting job, if I don’t get burnt and look fresh and relaxed most times its coz of these two factors in my life – now you know whats the secrete.
I don’t get much time do a lot of photography as my profession and job (which is my first love) demands a lot of my time. I just take one week off every six months for photography and then of course whenever I get long weekends, I try to plan a photography trip in the wild (we get about two to three such long weekends in a year). But every weekend, when at home, I spend two to three hours on my images, I post process them, organise them, post and share them (I usually schedule my posts for a week or two) that’s why most of my posts are at a specific and a regular hour and when you see the posts, I am actually busy working or am in a meeting or on a plane. But technology todays allows us create the illusion of being regular at something like posting content on your page 🙂
My love for nature and wildlife keeps increasing with each trip I make to the wild for photographing animals and nature. I have come to realise that alongside my profession and my corporate job, photography is my calling too. Whenever, I hang my boots as a full-time professional corporate executive, I know I will step into the boots of becoming a professional wildlife photographer and conservationist. How cool is that. 🙂
More details on my experience and learnings at SunPharma during my first year will be presented in another blog post and similarly one separate blog post is upcoming on the joy of photography and why its important to have a hobby to be happy and productive in life.